Sunday, January 8, 2012

Road Trip

So, from Jan 2nd to Jan 5th of this year I drove solo from NY to my new spot in Washington. (That's states, not cities). A total of 3,000 miles, (I made a few stops on the way) and three 12+ hour days, with the last day breaking 8 hours behind the wheel. I think I underestimated how unpleasant that much inactivity was going to be.

I did bring a camera so I can share some pictures. The first day I did not stop at all, except to get gas. The weather was mostly horrible anyway, and I drove through more than one blizzard before I made it to Illinois. So no pictures from that day.
In Illinois I made my first detour, through:

It was a long detour because the town was about this big:

And it was about a lightyear and a half from the freeway, as the crow flies.














It was too early in the morning for anything to be open so I just took some pictures of the house where Reagan was a boy
and moved on.

I know no one asked me, but in my opinion there is too dang much nothing in nebraska. Why they made that state 540 odd miles long I'll never know.

I can't remember which state this wind farm was in but it was the first of many I would see. I like wind farms. They are majestic, in their own way, and energy doesn't get much cleaner than that. This wasn't even the biggest one I saw.

Scenery didn't really start to get interesting until Wyoming, but then it was awesome. I love the high desert. If I ever get a chance, I wouldn't mind living in Wyoming.

This little tree appealed to me, standing all by itself on the top of a big ol' hill. Apparently it appealed to a lot of other people too.
Shortly after that I reached the peak of my trip... literally.
Hey look, it's a roller coaster!

More shots of the high desert. I don't know why I liked this part of wyoming better than any part of Nebraska. It's just as empty. But it's clearer, if you know what I mean.

I raced the freight train, and won.
The road goes ever on and on (and on and on and on....)
Then we got into some mountains. Unfortunately, blogger is tired of uploading photos, so the rest will have to wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment