Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Fate of Sin


And I ask, through angry tears, how can it be

That we who love still fall again and again?

In spite of prayers and acts and words of love, unfree

We daily fall to fear, and sin, and pain.

My Grandpa said, as his life began to wane,

“I sometimes ask, ‘Why did this happen to me?’

“But I know why, if I’m honest. The answer is plain

“I smoked for fifty years, and soaked up UV.”

Even at the end, in pain, eaten up by cancer,

He said “Without the pain I would never have come to know

How it is to float, embraced in a sea of love.”

Perhaps, under the Mercy, sin will have the same answer,

And that which beat and scarred us down below

Might yet, perhaps, be worship up above.

1 comment:

  1. Our great joy comes from the ultimate sacrifice and suffering of Christ, for: "Out of Love God became man that in love He might climb the cross and make of it an altar on which to say His first Mass. He offered that Mass that men might be lifted up to the very level of God, share in His nature, live with His life even while here on earth, be made God's very children and legitimate heirs to His heaven." (Fr. Raymond, Love Does Such Things). Thank you for your poems.
    God bless.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete