Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lent 2013, XXVIII


XXVIII. The Path to Sanctity hidden at my feet is never very well hidden. This morning I was on duty watching the Ops Center, a three hour block of absolutely nothing to do. So I took the time to say a rosary, since that much spare time is a luxury. As I was saying the rosary people started coming in and out, and one of them wanted to sit and talk about things to do in Bangkok, Mao Tse Tung, and Nelson Mandela. My first instinct was to be irritated and grouchy. After all, he is interrupting my prayers, and as interesting as Mao and Mandela are (Gandhi joined the party as well and even MLK Jr. put in a cameo) the Rosary is more important. But there, as glorious as a good joke at a funeral, is the common sense of Mother Teresa. The rosary is Higher. God in that moment declared that I needed the lower, by sending me a person who wanted to talk about interesting but not particularly spiritual things. This way, and not any other way, is how I am called to serve God in this moment. Who am I to argue?

No comments:

Post a Comment